It is getting chilly outside. Avoid the propaganda of large corporations that sell canned food, avoid the GMOs, and the packaging with carcinogens and avoid all the preservatives and sickly chickens they use. Making soup is so easy. Your kids will think you are so awesome! You can make it out of whatever you have at home. I am in California so the meat, vegetables and herbs available may be different for your area.
- 6-8 cups of purified water (buy these by the gallon at the market or refill your water jugs at the local water store
- 1-2 cups of organic vegetables (try baby carrots or chopped and peeled carrots and chopped potato, chopped celery)
- 1/8 cup of non GMO olive oil.
- 2 tsp – 1/8 cup of fresh organic herbs preferably from your own garden (chopped parsley leaves, pinch of thyme leaves, smaller pinch of rosemary, 1 tsp chopped garlic)
- 1 tsp of iodized salt, not heaping (better to have less salt than too much)
Put on the stove for 1 hours medium heat, then turn to low for 1 hour and cover or just put in a crockpot!
Serve with fresh local bakery bread. [Avoid Walmart and other big corporations to help small businesses.]
Optional, add chopped grass-fed beef or chopped organic poultry. Add flat noodles and eliminate potato to make a noodle soup with or without chicken. Add some cooked red beans or lentils for protein.
To make it more Asian, use hand shredded chicken, sliced green onion, try adding 1/4 Jasmine rice instead of noodles or potato and serve with a lime quarter slice on the side with small heap of bean sprouts on top. I love sesame oil. Use sparingly but it is my secret ingredient for Asian cooking. My friend made this one day and I loved it. The Asian markets have Chinese spinach which is something neat to try. The stems are too thick, take off the leaves and chop up and clean well before adding some to the soup. I avoid soy but the stores do have organic soy sauce.
To make more South American, my mother makes a Caldo de Papas soup. Basically chopped potato, chopped tomato, parsley and cilantro and drop in 6 or so organic whole eggs at the last 10 minutes or so for medium poached eggs. Use organic chicken stock or bullion cube with 1/8 c. of olive oil. Serve with sour cream and shredded Iceberg lettuce on the side. My mom serves it with toasted French bread slices. Have a hot sauce bottle nearby.
After you start making things from scratch and the homemade version of things you will think store-bought is gross and disgusting. LOL